Good Radiator Repair Shop?

Looking for recommendations? Have one to give?
Tim Hollister
WHRRI Member Number: 2370

Good Radiator Repair Shop?

Post by Tim Hollister » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:17 am

Hello All,

My task is to "wake up" a 1959 Bugeye Sprite that has been in a basement for 24 years. My step-mom finally gave her Bugeye to my half sister (step-mom's oldest daughter - Heather) and of course the subject came between them about who to work on it to get it running again. Of course I was nominated and I accepted the job thinking it should nnot take much to get it going. WRONG! I've been through or still working on every system and subsystem on the car and I'm up to just over $1,000 in parts! From a new gas tank (you should have seen the tar throughout the fuel system!) to a replacement drive shaft, etc., etc., Carb rebuild took a day just to get the carbs apart due to the tar and varnish -- everything stuck!! Oh well, enough of that....

The radiator has a lot of sludge in it and needs some mechanical repair. I could probably make it useable myself but because I have other committments and projects, I'd rather pay someone to repair this radiator rather to spend the time on it myself.

Many thanks in advance for any and all recommendations!!
Tim Hollister
Waterford, Michigan
HolliTech Team Racing

924RACR
WHRRI Member Number: 2248

Re: Good Radiator Repair Shop?

Post by 924RACR » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:29 am

I've had excellent service from Four Seasons Radiator in Troy, on 14 Mile...
http://www.fourseasonsradiator.net/four ... iator.html

Maybe not so convenient for you, but...
Vaughan Scott
#77 ITB White/Blue Porsche 924
#25 P2 Hidari Firefly
http://www.vaughanscott.com

Tim Hollister

Post by Tim Hollister » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:28 am

Thanks Vaughn! Being as I don't get out of here often enough, a little jaunt over to Troy is not a problem!!

We'll check them out and see what they say.

Thanks again!
Tim Hollister
Waterford, Michigan
HolliTech Team Racing

Camaro67racer
WHRRI Member Number: 2648

Post by Camaro67racer » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:19 am

If you live in Waterford, this would be farther than Troy but A&B Radiator in Ann Arbor is another option.
http://aandbradiator.com/
Jon Yanca

T4 MX-5
Spec Miata

stevesteeb

Post by stevesteeb » Mon May 14, 2018 12:50 pm

There are an awful lot of ALUMINUM RADIATORS online for a Bug-eye. Pretty reasonable, too! I might be able to find you a spare old original one - I bought one of those aluminum ones for the street Bug-eye for which I have been accumulating parts. Putting it together "one of these days". Let me know if you need to "borrow" one; I'll go out in the barn and look around.

Tim Hollister

Post by Tim Hollister » Tue May 15, 2018 12:06 am

Roger that Steve and thanks for the info and the offer. No need for a trip to the barn -- I have a couple in storage but unsure of their condition at this time. The one that came in the car should be easily repairable -- if I have time I might even tackle it myself. Time is driving my train and I want to get the car done and back to my sister so she can enjoy it and I can move on to other pressing projects.

I haven't looked at aluminum radiators for our cars in over ten years. When I was racing the Bill Niemeyer Midget, I bought an aluminum unit. IIRC I paid right at $500 for it back then!
Tim Hollister
Waterford, Michigan
HolliTech Team Racing

924RACR
WHRRI Member Number: 2248

Post by 924RACR » Tue May 15, 2018 7:49 am

Tim Hollister wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 12:06 am
When I was racing the Bill Niemeyer Midget...
:shock:

Didn't expect that name to turn up here. Have been racing against Bill quite a bit over the last few years, in P2, right down to Runoffs at Indy last year!
Vaughan Scott
#77 ITB White/Blue Porsche 924
#25 P2 Hidari Firefly
http://www.vaughanscott.com

Tim Hollister

Post by Tim Hollister » Tue May 15, 2018 9:56 am

Morning Vaughn!

I should have said "former Bill Niemeyer Midget..." I'm talking about the same Midget I had when you and I were paddocked nose to tail. I had spots 60 & 61 back then (2005) before the paddock spots were renumbered. Bill won the 2000 FP Runoffs with this car, then sold it to Peter Morton. Peter got the good stuff and sold the car to me in 2001 or 2002.

I still have the car and have intended to get back on the track every year since 2006 but life just keeps happening! Every year it ends up, "I'll make it next season." At 65, I sometimes wonder just how many seasons I have left! But next year... LOL! (The Red Roof Inns MG Midget #2 that my son Brad drove has gone back to the original builders/owners -- Dave and Cat Kizer -- where I felt it belonged.)

Wishing you and Merritt only the best!

Tim
Tim Hollister
Waterford, Michigan
HolliTech Team Racing