Do I need a front fascia?

Questions and information about upcoming Open Track Days
tirefireracing

Do I need a front fascia?

Post by tirefireracing »

My team bought a 93 Ford Taurus SHO that was already caged and race prepped. The front fascia that we received with the car doesn't mount well at the moment and I am not sure if we can get it mounted before the April 17th OTD. Is NOT having the front fascia attached something that will cause us to fail tech inspection?

Here is a picture of the car without the fascia:
NoFascia.jpg
Dave Lewis
WHRRI Member Number: 2165

Re: Do I need a front fascia?

Post by Dave Lewis »

I would think you are probably ok, but check with Ed Frank at otd@Waterfordhills.com.
On another note, it appears from your car picture, that you don't have side mirrors, that would be a problem .
Clock Tower Dave.
tirefireracing

Post by tirefireracing »

Thanks for the reply. I emailed otd@Waterfordhills.com with the same question and I am waiting on a reply.

The car has mirrors mounted inside. I will post a picture in a bit. I can bolt on exterior mirrors if that would smooth things over at inspection.
Brian
WHRRI Member Number: 1843

Post by Brian »

Dave is correct, functioning rear view mirrors is a check-box item on the Tech form; http://www.waterfordhills.com/phpBB3/vi ... f=5&t=4811
We want to see all 3 mirrors mounted and functional, at a minimum.
While there is no specific rule about a fascia (and we do get some LeMons-type entrants to be sure), it's a safety inspection 1st and foremost.
Also, the trend I've been seeing on modified cars is a compromised battery hold-down setup.....if your battery can move that's a Tech fail right there.
Hopefully you'll hear from Ed soon, as we have a question pending as well 8)
"A nation which makes great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."

Thucydides, 460 B.C.
tirefireracing

Post by tirefireracing »

Thanks Brian. There is a rearview mirror 'bar' inside and I have ordered two aftermarket side mirrors that I will mount before the 17th.

The battery is secure - I appreciate you pointing out things that often fail the safety inspection.

I have read over the OTD Primer a few times and each time it seems like I catch something that I missed.
Dave Lewis

Post by Dave Lewis »

One other thing, when you come into the paddock, unload your car in yout assigned spot and then walk to tech and ask an inspector to look at your car. Ask for me if you like. Car with numbers and running engines is the problem.
Clock Tower Dave.
tirefireracing

Post by tirefireracing »

Thanks for that piece of advice Dave. I saw in the OTD guide that they don't want race cars driving to tech and I wasn't sure how to handle it

Our car is reasonably quiet. We did some work on the exhaust to make sure we stayed under Waterford's 74 decibel limit.
Dave Lewis

Post by Dave Lewis »

Sounds like you are squared away. Looking forward to meeting you. Which day are you running?
Clock Tower Dave.
tirefireracing

Post by tirefireracing »

We have one driver registered for 4/17 (me) and two registered for 5/23. We might make the 6/13 OTD as well. We are trying to get everyone some time in the car before the Lemons race at the end of June.