Saturday evening festivities?

Official Information about WHRRI racing, straight from the BOD and Chiefs of Specialties
ennored

Saturday evening festivities?

Post by ennored »

Making plans to come out Saturday. Looked here but I see no mention of a bar-b-que. Any Bar-b-ques this year? This coming weekend? Figuring out what to throw in the motorhome fridge...
Joel Hershoren
WHRRI Member Number: 1361

Re: Saturday evening festivities?

Post by Joel Hershoren »

Tim, No " planned " BBQ's for the time being, as the club could not achieve a " break even " on finances. ( when catered )

The old club grills have not fired up in some time, as staffing and finances were still a concern and need.

I miss the simple days of bring your own and throw it on the club grill.
Paddock is pretty quiet on Saturday nights.

Recommend to pack accordingly.
ennored

Post by ennored »

Thanks Joel. Bringing my small grill and food to throw on it.

Quiet paddock? Shame!
surratta
WHRRI Member Number: 2595

Post by surratta »

ennored wrote:Quiet paddock? Shame!
we could always change that... or at least resolve to...
Andrew Surratt, Resident Troll
SeniorPBA2B

Post by SeniorPBA2B »

Per usual, I'll be spending Saturday night in the paddock ... after nut-n-bolting "The Banana" I'll be BBQ'ing a steak and potato and chilling with a beverage while reading "Senna". :)

Jim
"Tough times don't last ... tough people do."
Joel Hershoren
WHRRI Member Number: 1361

Post by Joel Hershoren »

Times change , people change , everything runs a course.
That does not make it good or bad that the paddock is not the social Saturday night is used to be, it is what it is.

Many of the regulars of that era have either passed away (Dave Shook and Jack Pringle come to mind,) or moved on to other interests in life ( long list over 25+ years )

I think it's up to the great batch of new drivers we have from the last 3-4 years to create their own, ( or renew) some traditions.

We are blessed. We have a lot of sub 30 year old folks that can really drive, and are nice "kids".

The changing of the guard, or at least making big room for them, is a good thing.
Hoping we get 30 more of them. 40 would be better !

I remember after racing : softball and volleyball , people biking the track, rollerblading not that long ago. There was lot's going on besides the social keg and grill your own dinner.
I miss those days, BUT,, i do not lament over them.
To be sure, a few of us being more campground orientated after racing has not helped the "Paddock Social" , but again, times change for us too.
Old story, it became the same few folks doing a bulk of the tasks, and we are getting older. ( and perhaps tired too )

Hoping time brings us a rebirth, or , new traditions.
James Burks

Post by James Burks »

I remember race weekend one (the first time i camped out) i took a walk through the paddock and it was so quiet it was scary. The only thing i heard was the wind going around the trailers and that was it.. The campground was a little better (found a guy and his crew to chill with around a fire but i dont remember his name but i remember his car was 53 Red ITsomething) but it was still pretty quiet even then. Then again last race was pretty cold with some strong wind. Hopefully this weekend will bring out more people that is camping out

-Spot-
stevesteeb

Post by stevesteeb »

This does NOT all have to fall to he Club and Officers / the same old volunteers. In fact it can't anymore. In the mid - late 90's when Gari Chaffin and I were having some great races, I spent many Saturday nights crawling over Lola trying to find a half second or so. I remember the Big Bore Racers had food and grills and would come around the paddock and pester those of us working on our cars until we gave up and joined them and ate their food. GOOD TIMES. After spending a few years on the Board recently it seems many club members today want the Club to do lot's of things for the members. Not going to happen if the Club ever expects to have the funds to repave the track. Not to dwell on food but we cannot "have our cake and eat it too!!!" :-) Now if a class, or race group, or even group of workers wanted to take charge of this activity - I bet the Club could make grills available (assuming the grills came back CLEAN!).
ennored

Post by ennored »

Thanks all. Fun time Saturday.

And for any of you who that haven't stuck around on a Saturday, you should. The keg was not emptied. Help is needed.