New Guy Help

Looking for recommendations? Have one to give?
SOCOM218

New Guy Help

Post by SOCOM218 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:31 am

Hello!

I'm a new member here on this forum, and I was wondering what everyone recommends would be a good class to start in.

I'm a young adult on a modest budget, so I don't have tons of cash to blow. I'm also quite tall (6'3" or 191cm) so space is an issue. Other than that, ease of maintenance would be nice, as well as inexpensive parts. Just generally looking for what would be a good class for a passionate gearhead and motorsport fan, but inexperienced racer. The sheer amount of SCCA classes seems daunting and slightly confusing to me. Thanks!

JRogers
WHRRI Member Number: 2769

Re: New Guy Help

Post by JRogers » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:06 pm

Welcome,

In my opinion, the best way to start out on a budget is finding a reasonably priced Improved Touring car that already has a log book and required safety equipment. Having a good spares package that comes with the car is a bonus. If you can find a well built car that's been sorted out, even one that may have not raced in a few years, the only thing you should need to do is give it a good once over making sure all the belts, etc are up to date, good tires, brakes, fluids, etc and come race. If you're serious about getting into racing, check out the Waterford Driver's school this year even if you don't have a car but intend to get one. There are folks who rent cars for the school.

As far as being tall, there are a lot of tall people in small race cars out there. Mounting your seat lower or further back will allow you to fit in just about anything.

There are some guides for beginners out there that I'm sure someone will post here.

Any other questions be sure to ask.

Jon

Brian
WHRRI Member Number: 1843

Post by Brian » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:52 pm

Welcome!

You basically just described a Spec Neon car, I believe it checks all your boxes and they are great fun to boot 8)
"A nation which makes great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."

Thucydides, 460 B.C.

SOCOM218

Post by SOCOM218 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:56 am

Thanks guys! I'll take all the help I can get, that's for sure. Help and information on SCCA road racing has been tricky to find so far for me. I appreciate it!

surratta
WHRRI Member Number: 2595

Post by surratta » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:46 am

I felt the same way when I started. lots of information, but scattered around, and not much of a road map. I was (and still am) renting a car, so my concerns were slightly different, but I do remember feeling overwhelmed. have you been to the track? have you been to a membership meeting? there are lots of people who will gladly help get you oriented (most of whom probably aren't checking in here that often). membership meetings aren't always that well attended, but those who are there are some of the most dedicated (and helpful) club members you'll find... if at all possible, I recommend attending next month's meeting. it's on wednesday, march 1st, at 7:00pm.
Andrew Surratt, Resident Troll

engineerted

Post by engineerted » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:58 am

Welcome aboard!! Good to see new people interested in racing. I see there is an ex Waterford car on Evil bay. Don't know who this is but might be a good starting point?? ITB has a good mix of cars.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-Capri-Race ... 2555232475
Ted
FP 124 Spider/ EP 124 Spider (2017)

924RACR
WHRRI Member Number: 2248

Post by 924RACR » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:14 pm

Hey, I know that car!!! :)

Raced against it for a number of years, multiple drivers... good car, sad to see it on eBay!
Vaughan Scott
#77 ITB White/Blue Porsche 924
#25 P2 Hidari Firefly
http://www.vaughanscott.com

surratta
WHRRI Member Number: 2595

Post by surratta » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:34 pm

oh yeah, and in case you hadn't found it already, this (longish) forum thread has some good info:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1747

it dates back a few years and wanders a bit here and there, but it's still a good starting point, still quite relevant.
Andrew Surratt, Resident Troll

JMiller

Post by JMiller » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:51 am

If you're going to race a Mustang (or in this case Capri), this is the one to get. It has a Watts linkage to control the rear axle, making it basically the best handling Mustang ever in ITB at Waterford. I asked Dave Cordier once why he didn't have one on his cars and he said 'too much welding'. This is a multi-time class winner here; a great car. Buy it if you can swing it.