Tire Rotation Topic

Looking for recommendations? Have one to give?
ADPWL1
WHRRI Member Number: 2785

Tire Rotation Topic

Post by ADPWL1 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:06 pm

OK, thinking about doing this to get a few more runs out of the tires for the season. These are directional tires.

I'm currently rotating front to back every few track day to keep the tire wear pretty even, and thats worked very well.

But now as we are mid-season / wrapping up, I am wondering if I can have the tires dismounted and flipped so I can put them on the other side of the car to start wearing the other side of the tire and squeeze a few more sessions out of them?

Thougts?
---------------------------------------
Andy Pawlowski
1994 Spec Miata #38

Brian
WHRRI Member Number: 1843

Re: Tire Rotation Topic

Post by Brian » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:52 pm

Andy, by definition 'directional' tires are meant to be run one way due to sidewall stiffness differences, etc.

Doing otherwise is contraindicated, to say the least ;^D

Brian
"A nation which makes great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."

Thucydides, 460 B.C.

ADPWL1

Post by ADPWL1 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:11 am

Brian, I totally understand that, but if I pull the tires off the wheel and turn them around, then mount them on the other side of the car, they would still be going in the correct direction, I would just be able to wear the sidewall that was previously on the inside of the car.
Andy Pawlowski
1994 Spec Miata #38

Brian
WHRRI Member Number: 1843

Post by Brian » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:26 am

Right, lots of tires have directional tread patterns.........but some high performance tires are constructed with a stiffer outer sidewall as well.
IF that's the case with your tires (read the language on the sidewalls) they should not be swapped outside-to-inside, that's the caveat :wink:

Brian
"A nation which makes great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."

Thucydides, 460 B.C.

ADPWL1

Post by ADPWL1 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:54 am

Ahh, I get it. True Left/Right side ONLY tires. I need to look and see if my tires actually say "this side out" or something of the sort. Thanks a lot!
Andy Pawlowski
1994 Spec Miata #38