Window Question

Questions and information about upcoming Open Track Days
PCRfast

Window Question

Post by PCRfast » Tue May 12, 2015 7:39 am

I have a logbooked rally car that I'd like to take out to an OTD - the driver and passenger windows are plexiglass with sliders to pass time cards and such through - would I be allowed to run with that configuration? I see the tech sheet re removable windows and not sure how that works. Thanks.

Brad

Brian
WHRRI Member Number: 1843

Re: Window Question

Post by Brian » Tue May 12, 2015 8:52 am

As you've read, we require the windows to be open while on track......with rare exceptions made for very inclement weather.
It's a driver safety issue, so not really negotiable.
If the entire slider inserts can be removed without too much trouble, I suggest doing so.
If not, have Tech evaluate them......and be ready to remove them if they don't pass them as-is.

Brian
"A nation which makes great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."

Thucydides, 460 B.C.

PCRfast

Post by PCRfast » Tue May 12, 2015 1:26 pm

Thanks! I think I can un-screw the entire window assembly fairly easily - both sides, correct?

It's funny how different sanctioning bodies are - we're not allowed to have our windows open more than 1" when we're running on stage. Thanks, again.

Brad

Brian

Post by Brian » Tue May 12, 2015 1:31 pm

Yes Brad, both sides.

Glad to hear they come out without too much trouble.

Unlike Rallying, if you're getting rocks and dirt coming through the open windows on a OTD, I'm pretty sure you're doing it wrong :lol:

Brian
"A nation which makes great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."

Thucydides, 460 B.C.

mjp

Post by mjp » Tue May 12, 2015 1:41 pm

PCRfast wrote: It's funny how different sanctioning bodies are - we're not allowed to have our windows open more than 1" when we're running on stage.
Brad
It is only the US where I saw that windows have to be down on race tracks. Allegedly for safety reasons, but noone managed to explain to me why. In the UK you have to have driverside window closed unless you have window net. And explanation for this that in case of roll or side hit the window will prevent your arm from getting on the wrong side of the door.
Michał J Piotrowicz
http://michal.piotrowicz.info

motorsport marshal:
2015: 29, 2014: 37, 2013: 42, 2012: 40, 2011: 11 days
2010: 13, 2009: 18, 2008: 25 days
2004: 9, 2003: 19, 2002: 11, 2001: 6, 2000: 9, 1999: 2 days

Brian

Post by Brian » Tue May 12, 2015 1:51 pm

mjp wrote: It is only the US where I saw that windows have to be down on race tracks. Allegedly for safety reasons, but noone managed to explain to me why. In the UK you have to have driverside window closed unless you have window net. And explanation for this that in case of roll or side hit the window will prevent your arm from getting on the wrong side of the door.
The OTD rules are constructed with daily driver type street cars in mind.
In case the need arises after an incident, open windows provide the driver an avenue to exit an otherwise damaged / burning vehicle (for example, if you hit a wall with the driver's side door making it inoperable) and for the first responders to gain access to the driver in case they need help.

Race cars have their own rules, and as you guys have noticed......they can vary a lot!

Brian

Thucydides, 460 B.C.