Safes start Alternatives

Official Information about WHRRI racing, straight from the BOD and Chiefs of Specialties
cmachado
WHRRI Member Number: 2688

Safes start Alternatives

Post by cmachado »

Taking advantage of the momentum of Formula 1 disastrous starts. And having experience much damage from WHRRI starts where competitors misshifted or stepped on their brakes
I would like to bring up to our Racer representative at Waterford Hills reconsidered double file safety car start for all races, definitely they are more dangerous than alternative starts
This is a suggestion for a racing board of directors, this is the only contact I have, I hope you can forward this to the people in charge
Christian
Brian
WHRRI Member Number: 1843

Re: Safes start Alternatives

Post by Brian »

Hey Christian,

Just to be clear, since all re-starts are already single-file you are proposing that our original racing starts be in the same format as those?

Not-a-Board-member-Brian
"A nation which makes great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."

Thucydides, 460 B.C.
cmachado
WHRRI Member Number: 2688

Post by cmachado »

I am not talking about restart
I am talking about starts( first start )

Or maybe starting I supposed to front straightaway maybe back straight away, where it would be clear to the bunch in the middle or on the back to visualize what’s happening in the front
Brian
WHRRI Member Number: 1843

Post by Brian »

Interesting, kind of what Mid-Ohio does for some of their Pro Racing events.....starting on the 2nd straight.

I'm picturing our Pace Car diving off at the crossover road past Big Bend, and the Sound stand acting for the Starts :!:
"A nation which makes great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."

Thucydides, 460 B.C.
924RACR
WHRRI Member Number: 2248

Post by 924RACR »

As long as the green isn't held longer than absolutely necessary, I personally think we're good. All the procedural changes in the world aren't gonna keep people from pushing the wrong pedal. That's more of a remedial driver's ed topic IMO.

That said, if we were to try a back-straight start, I'd be willing to give it a try... and it might be the only thing that'd give more room to sort out or avoid some driver fails.

Thinking about where the pace car can hide - I'd recommend also following the Mid-O procedure there, pace car ducks into the pits (or the short-chute at 3 to return to the pits) while the field proceeds to the back straight to take the green.

Actually, thinking about the short chute at 3, I think that's still potentially a concern if a car is joining late from the grid, catching up to the field. At the very least, they would have to be held on pit lane.

I think having the pace car duck off after Big Bend is too close to the actual start area to be safe - and then the pace car would have to literally race the field to pit in! Not a good idea IMO, too much at risk.

We'd also have to factor in additional time for what would amount to almost an entire second pace lap; at pace speeds (35mph), that would make a noticeable impact on the schedule - though it should be manageable.

Edit: I have to admit, one does want to ponder if trying to fit our fields through Turn 6 2-wide at a start would maybe be more hazard-prone, on a more regular basis, than the more open run through 1-2 and only the occasional screw up at the start...
Vaughan Scott
#77 ITB White/Blue Porsche 924
#25 P2 Hidari Firefly
http://www.vaughanscott.com
engineerted

Post by engineerted »

I think this is a very good topic.
I have been racing at Waterford for the past 10 years and can only recall 1 time that i was tapped in the rear ( very minor) and yes i have missed a shift or two (without any incident). That being said, is there any merit in looking into the start / pace speed? Is a faster start less prone to incidents?
I have watched the runoffs for the last few years and I am really amazed on how far spaced out the cars are and they seem to be moving faster??
Ted
FP 124 Spider/ EP 124 Spider (1974)