Antifreeze?

Official Information about WHRRI racing, straight from the BOD and Chiefs of Specialties
SeniorPBA2B

Antifreeze?

Post by SeniorPBA2B »

I recently overheard a conversation between two gentlemen concerning the use of antifreeze in a competitor's car, and the difficulty in cleaning up the racetrack surface should an incident occur.

I've searched both the SCCA and the Waterford Hills 2017 Rules & Regulations and the only thing I've found was this, listed in the WHHRI rules from the section specifically for "Spec Focus":

15.1 Engine Coolant
The only engine coolant used in the radiator shall be water, though surfactants such as Redline “Water Wetter” or Neo Synthetics “Keep Cool” are allowed. The intent of this rule is to avoid slick track conditions produced by spilled antifreeze, not to limit water additives.

The above makes sense because "Oil Dry" doesn't work well in soaking up antifreeze because it is an alcohol base. SCCA talks about Coolant Catch Cans on page 87 and has a generic rule about fluid leakage on page 105 ... but I have yet to find an actual rule regard what kind of coolant is allowed or even recommended.

I found this in the SCCA Improved Touring rules:
g. Engine coolant fluid, coolant/heater hoses and clamps may be
substituted. Heater hoses may be plugged or bypassed (looped)
or removed. Heater water control valve(s) may be added or
substituted. Heater core may be removed.

Am I missing something?
"Tough times don't last ... tough people do."
stevesteeb

Re: Antifreeze?

Post by stevesteeb »

SVRA specifically states in its Rules that anti-freeze is NOT ALLOWED. I would have bet that in the early 2000's it was at the very least recommended that anti-freeze NOT be used in our Rules and Regulations. I think I can still find that file folder. And yes, I HATE the inconvenience of running water in my race cars; can't fill them until May and then I have to have them drained by mid-October. But if YOU have ever been on a Corner when a radiator full of coolant broke... Actually seems like a small price to pay.
SeniorPBA2B

Post by SeniorPBA2B »

I totally agree ... but it seems there are two schools of thought out there, one that is unaware of the issue and one that is aware but seems to think there is a written rule when actually there is not.

I put antifreeze in my race car engines just prior to Winter even though they stay in a heated garage, but Murphy's Law says there could be a power outage. I drain them and put in water and "Water Wetter" prior to the start of the racing season.

One thought that popped into my head was the non-dedicated race cars that run at WHRRI, that being Time Trials and OTD's when the majority of the vehicles involved are street cars, many are daily drivers. What then?
"Tough times don't last ... tough people do."
Brian
WHRRI Member Number: 1843

Post by Brian »

I always figured that racers in dedicated race cars ran water and some surface tension reducer (Water Wetter and the like) as a courtesy, and presume that OTD / TT daily driver type cars run a standard factory type 50% Glycol solution (?)
"A nation which makes great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."

Thucydides, 460 B.C.