Race weekend 6 and season afterglow.

Official Information about WHRRI racing, straight from the BOD and Chiefs of Specialties
Joel Hershoren
WHRRI Member Number: 1361

Race weekend 6 and season afterglow.

Post by Joel Hershoren »

There is always a sense of relief yet sadness as a season comes to a close.

I woke up this morning unable to speak over a whisper. So the first thing i can recommend is we again attempt to bolster the announcing stand.
Seems to me it should be at least 2 folks sharing the duty. It can be a lot of fun, but it's tough on one person to perform all weekend long.

Great Lakes Challenge. Thanks for visiting twice this year. Got a chance to spend time with a few of them that are not weekend to weekend regulars. Nice folks.
I like having guests , show case or not.
Having 2 or 3 "special weekends a year keeps things from getting stale.
Just like T.T. and lap counts that vary , even weekend to weekend.

My opinion is we should do TT at least 3 times a year, but perhaps not when we have a Showcase.

I also feel that Co-driver needs one last shot to survive. One thought i keep trying to find fault with is making it the last race(s) of the year Sunday afternoon on the final weekend.
Open and Closed wheel. Sign of the times. Folks do not share cars like in the past, and the fact many cars can dual or triple dip classes has contributed to the entry demise.

The lap count format for qualifying instead of time length format should be kept is some fashion.
I suggest the 2-3 weekends of the year be by time and the remaining weekend done by the lap count format.

1 .Doing via lap count saves time , creating a chance for more or longer races.
2. Going by time on the front side of the season will give rookies or newbies if you will an better chance to get settled into a regular race weekend, now being on track with full license holders not just fellow rookies.

Seems to me cars are getting prettier. Best looking Spec Miata field overall i have seen at the end of a season. In some cases better than the start of a season.
T-1 and T-2 do not have an ugly car. Nice trend.
Our track has had a stigma for years, mostly not deserved mind you, but a stigma never the less.
The last 2 weekends are proof that it is not deserved.
Let the all season push to better ourselves never wane. No matter how good it gets, it can always be better. That goes from drivers to operations. As soon as you think it's good enough it goes backwards. No different from car prep to driving, to time management, to race support infrastructure.

off the soapbox for a few minutes, let's do some shout outs .
1. Kristen Novak with a first win. Fun sidebar :As She stopped to get her checker on pit road, i already had a full water pail hiding against the flag stand guard rail on the ready.
Grabbing the chance to razz her a bit ( with a smile of course ) i asked her " are you sure you are supposed to be here? " Before i could grab the pail and soak the interior she was flag in hand and trying to pull away. As folks tried to stop her shouting" wait-wait-wait" she caught view of me grabbing the pail in her mirrors and sped away. Mike was concerned at first that the chance was gone.
" oh no, we have plenty of time to cross the paddock and get to station 7, she will never expect the pail there" was my reply.
Sure enough , we handed off the pail to the Turn 7 staff and crouched behind the barrier to not sell a clue of what was coming. Suffice to say the shriek emitted from the car after the pail was emptied was worth the effort.

Greg Steen with a first win. Quiet guy around the a paddock. I was surprised he had not won before. ( that's not a knock, actually the opposite)

The are other firsts but memory fails at this point. maybe they will return to my brain as i type. If i missed you at this point, do not feel slighted, between D.O.R duties, some non- D.O.R. duties, and announcing races and trophies, i am a bit worn down.

New class records:
Danny Kellermeyer in T-1, and Bill Wise in CFC.
That's a big deal. Fast classes subscribed by a lot of fast and able drivers. Anytime classes like those lower the mark, it's a big thing. WELL DONE.

Randy Shaw = Rain-man . Randy put on the best rain performance on a Waterford weekend that i have ever seen.
New rain tires or not. The level of dominance was over the top. Mostly because i never thought of a Miata as a good rain car.

Lot's of first time Class champions this year. Nice to see.

As much as i love rain races, i wish Sunday would have been dry. A lot of folks in our club history use Sunday as a reunion day of sorts.
Rain kept a lot home, or helped them to opt for heading home early. Bummer.

More later, who else has goodies ?
t3894kj

Re: Race weekend 6 and season afterglow.

Post by t3894kj »

Surprised that no one has responded yet Joel, probably just depressed that the season is over. From what I can tell you did an excellent job this year! Thank you

Just want to say that I had an awesome first year! Mostly I was amazed at the offers of help when my car broke. First there was the friendly harassment and offers of help from the Neon guys to get my car together after blowing the clutch in Driver's School. Then, there were several helping hands after I rolled 3/4 of way into my first lap. This included Adam Brenders peeling the shattered windshield out of my car with my brother. There were multiple push starts when Andrew Mozer and I both lost our starters on the same weekend. The diagnoses of a broken half shaft by Jim Kidd when I thought it was something worse and replacement half shaft and help supplied by Phil Mather to get me on the track for the Saturday race. And then, finally, genuine gratitude from Sean Grogan that I managed to hobble my way to the track this past Saturday after being up till 3am replacing a transmission.

I'm sure I missed some random acts of kindness but just want to thank everyone that helped me through my first year. The Writt's were excellent paddock neighbours (u because they're Canadian) and Ken Mascia was a great neighbor.

Big thanks to all the volunteers as well! Before getting into this I had no idea how many people volunteered to make this happen. I'm sure most of you know registration for SCCA regional races is twice as much as Waterford, and well I'm not an accountant, but I bet it has something to do with the amount of volunteers.

Look forward to doing it all over again next year!

Kyle Jones
#78 SN
Kyle Jones
#13 SN
SeniorPBA2B

Post by SeniorPBA2B »

Ditto Kyle's sentiments. The time and effort put forth by Joel and Jerry and all the many other volunteers that I know by mostly faces only ... Thank you, thank you, thank you. My only regret is that I didn't get involved with the WHRRI community many many years ago, that I spent too many years spinning my wheels in drag racing. 8)

Kyle, you are more than welcome to any help we can provide, as are the other SN racers. It is a great group of guys that we very much enjoy competing with. If you need any help in the off-season, please don't hesitate to ask ... just as long as you don't start beating the #37 car. :mrgreen:

Maybe some of the other racers and/or time trial guys will decide to score one of the many retired SN cars that are sitting in the weeds behind somebody's garage and come play in Group One next year. That's where "The Banana" came from. :P

Jim Kidd
"Tough times don't last ... tough people do."
surratta
WHRRI Member Number: 2595

Post by surratta »

I know why I haven't replied sooner... Joel -- who is everywhere, all the time, and always making things work, always making things better -- well, he goes and posts a novella, and it's a daunting act to follow. (Joel, btw, just shut up and take a compliment. yes, we know that it's a team effort. but that doesn't diminish your contributions.)

Kyle, I'm really not surprised to hear your stories of above-and-beyond from Waterford competitors. even so, I was indeed surprised to see your car back together -- and not looking half bad! -- the morning after your first 3/4 lap. incidentally, who did you like better as neighbors, Ken or Bill and Kathy?

I also have to pile on Clutch a bit too... he's also quick to fall back into that modesty thing, and yes, Clutch, ok, fine, you had help. but holy toledo, OTD and TT have gone crazy! that's exciting on multiple levels, and while I may not know the full extent of the help you had, I do know that you were the primary reason this happened.
Andrew Surratt, Resident Troll
Joel Hershoren

Post by Joel Hershoren »

All ,thanks for the kind words.
" For the love of the game " .
it's also for love of the club ,and what i think it should stand for.
Every single one of you can help take it to next level and leave our efforts in the dust. It's up to you. IF i can do it, you can do it.

Kyle, quite an amazing list of story snippets. That is why i am very fond of the S-Neon class and the F-500 class.

Both a very close knit, help each other between races type of crowd

You will not have more fun for less investment than a Neon.

You will not go faster for less investment than a F-500.

SUZY, if you are still car shopping,,,GET A NEON!
Last edited by Joel Hershoren on Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
924RACR
WHRRI Member Number: 2248

Post by 924RACR »

Indeed, that reminds me, PUB Racing owes a big thanks to the F500 guys for all their patience this year as we've struggled to get Mo Makki's car functional again and happy - helluva learning curve there, to be sure! Best of all, the effort was successful, and Mo was able to complete all his laps this weekend, finding even more pace as he went.

It's amazing how much faster you can go when you trust the car... ;)

I know Mo's looking forward to being a real part of the races next year... thanks guys!
Vaughan Scott
#77 ITB White/Blue Porsche 924
#25 P2 Hidari Firefly
http://www.vaughanscott.com
TealTuna

Post by TealTuna »

Looks like another heck of a weekend. I got to hang around Saturday and I have mixed feelings about missing Sunday...

I wanted to quickly thank Joel, the workers, the rest of the club, the workers, and the workers for making WHRR awesome - And I feel fortunate to get in on the action. Since I have plans to do some SCCA racing I never joined the Waterford club since we can't afford to go to every race weekend let alone other tracks... but I feel at home here after my first "season" (3 weekends... one cut short). I haven't met a single soul around the track that wasn't a class act (except one #*%$ at driver's school). I hope everyone has a great "off-season" and I look forward to making my way back next year.

-Ryan Kristoff
#46 FP
#46 GTL Honda CRX-GT
t3894kj

Post by t3894kj »

surratta wrote:Kyle, I'm really not surprised to hear your stories of above-and-beyond from Waterford competitors. even so, I was indeed surprised to see your car back together -- and not looking half bad! -- the morning after your first 3/4 lap. incidentally, who did you like better as neighbors, Ken or Bill and Kathy?
Well when I forgot my race suit Week 5, I borrowed Ken's... Don't think I would be able to fit into Bill's. Bill and Kathy watch my car overnight though, that's got to be worth some points
Kyle Jones
#13 SN
t3894kj

Post by t3894kj »

SeniorPBA2B wrote: If you need any help in the off-season, please don't hesitate to ask ... just as long as you don't start beating the #37 car.
Guess I'm not going to ask for any help in the off season :P #37 is in my crosshairs
Kyle Jones
#13 SN
Joel Hershoren

Post by Joel Hershoren »

Ryan,
To be sure you are a welcome addition. You should "fix" that membership thing,,( ha-ha )

Your post is timely, as yes, we should thank ALL volunteers around the event, and behind the event.

The B.O.D. , Comp board, and race weekend infrastructure. The only reward most of them get is the satisfaction of a job well done.

Still waiting for my voice to return. 4 days,,i fear i may be getting older,,o.k. , OLD

Cheers,,
Joel
Greg Blastic
WHRRI Member Number: 2412

Post by Greg Blastic »

Don't tell me you didn't have any help in the tower with announcing!? I was sure you would. I would have made the sactrifice to be there had I known the subs fell through. It would have been a good chance to see some of my ole racing pals. Hope your voice comes back soon!
SeniorPBA2B

Post by SeniorPBA2B »

Joel Hershoren wrote:i fear i may be getting older,,o.k. , OLD
Joel
Welcome to my world. :lol:

Jim
"Tough times don't last ... tough people do."
Joel Hershoren

Post by Joel Hershoren »

Greg, Roger Outland did 2 races for the club on Saturday. Add Great Lakes Challange and it's back to a full weekend .

No worries, throat stopped hurting today, voice a bit better.

"Getting old ain't for sissies" :Rich Johnston
Greg Blastic
WHRRI Member Number: 2412

Post by Greg Blastic »

Glad Roger was able to help out a bit. I still kind of feel responsible for the announcing since I lured Matt from Specs Howard years ago offering an "internship" program to help him populate his resume. Glad he's stuck around so long...........unlike myself.
Hope to see ya all next year! Got get my bro' to go in halves on a car............................
Corvairmechanic
WHRRI Member Number: 2460

Post by Corvairmechanic »

Racing in the rain, it wasn't the first and won't be the last time without rain tires. I was able to make the Vintage race on Sunday and even with the rain on Sunday during our Vintage race I realized how much I missed being at the track with everyone. Yes, I worked F&C and I like that to but racing is first if I can afford it. During the race 6 Sunday race with a wet track and sprinkles coming down I know there was something that happened at turn 8 but I got around it and after that I think everyone stayed clean. I know I really enjoyed dicing on a wet track, it really makes sure you know car control and self control!

It was great being out with everyone again, some new faces and some old. I hope to be back next year.
Ken Hand
#22 Corvair
248-613-8586
http://www.corvairmechanic.com
The Crew Chief
WHRRI Member Number: 2677

Post by The Crew Chief »

Sorry I wasn't able to announce Sunday, I fell behind in the morning prep and with the rain coming down and a championship on the line I just could not get away from crew duties. I wanted to call Group 1 so bad too!!!!
I will tell you this much it is a lot harder to do then it looks/sounds. I hope I didn't batch it up too bad especially group 1 Sat. Joel did tell me the first one is the hardest and I can't agree with him more!!! I did feel a lot more comfortable announcing Group 5 I would like to think I got a pretty good handle for it now. Would love the opportunity to if nothing else assist next year if the spectators will tolerate me.
Ken I wanted to give a shout out to ya and thank you for bringing your car out and competing with us. If it helps I was the black Nissan, and at the time the caboose of the fright train that stormed by you out of turn 5 in the Sat. Race. Believe it or not you kicked open a huge door for me and really made our 3 car battle one of the "races of the day" It's always a pleasure to see old school races cars out on track, especially while I'm racing! It gives me a visual of what it was like back in the day!!!!
I also want to give a shout out and a huge THANK YOU to the folks that took over timing and scoring!!!! Jumping into it for the first time isn't easy and once you folks got a handle on it (didn't take long), your efforts were flawless!!!! Great job!!!! and once again Thank you!!!!
A huge Thank you!!!! goes out to Joel!!!! Talk about giving it everything you got. Not only organizing and running the show, Throw in announcing the whole weekend with the exception of the little that I did, and then M.C-ing the awards afterwards!!! Joel have a couple of beers, gargle some warm salt water, and no talking to Shmoo for 48 hours!!! (DOCTORS ORDERS)
I cannot forget the corner workers and all the volunteers that play a roll in making the weekend and/or season take place... HATS OFF TO ALL OF YOU!!! THANK YOU!!!!
Last and diffidently not least I wanted to give a special THANK YOU!!! to Garret Dunn. Having an other then desirable weekend to say the least, he was gracious enough to jump in and give me a huge helping hand tearing down my yard sale of a paddock and loading it up in the rain. Dude THANK YOU!!!! If you need a hand getting the # 36 ready for the A.R.R.C. you do not hesitate calling me!!!
Rodger Outland
Fast Frog Racing
ITA # 33

"55 is an un-safe speed... Slow enough to make you feel safe, but fast enough to kill you"