For Old Guys Only

Bench racing, smack talking, and general chit chat
r.ranville

For Old Guys Only

Post by r.ranville »

I own a copy of American Racing, authorship credited to Tom Burnside, a well known racing photographer. The book is mostly illustrations, staring with natural road tracks and Brynfan Tyddyn and ending with Bridghampton and Can Am cars in 1968. In other words, the golden age of sports car racing in the Americas. (Races in Venezuela, Cuba, Puerto Rico and Nassau are covered. Who remembers A. J. Foyt in the rear engines Scarab at Nassau Speed Week?)
Denise Mccluggage wrote the vast majority of the text. Many copies of American Racing are out there for sale, some at very low prices.

Denise McCluggage, a widely experienced and successful driver was also a renowned motor racing writer and correspondent. She was a close friend and drinking buddy with most of the big name drivers of the times and a close friend of one of our regular Waterford drivers. She was a founder of the publication that became
Autoweek
and was Senior Contributing Editor there until her death in 2015.

I have wanted to add her book
By Brooks Too Broad for Leaping
, a collection of her best columns from
Autoweek
, as a companion to the Burnside book for a long time, but copies are expensive and scarce. But, I was checking Alibris again a few weeks ago and there was a copy listed by a library service for about $25. It said good condition and inscribed.

Well, the book is perfect and it is inscribed: "For Bob Bondurant - My favorite driving teacher - Denise McCluggage Nov. 1994."
You might as well go fast; it'll go by fast anyway.
Brian
WHRRI Member Number: 1843

Re: For Old Guys Only

Post by Brian »

Nice score!!!
"A nation which makes great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."

Thucydides, 460 B.C.