Remember these guys and this car at Waterford Hills?

Bench racing, smack talking, and general chit chat
Vintagemgb#28

Remember these guys and this car at Waterford Hills?

Post by Vintagemgb#28 »

Greetings, I'm new to the forum and hope to get better aquatinted soon with what sounds like a friendly club racing community at Waterford Hills.

I am interested if anyone recalls the people connected with an MGB I came to own this past year.

I have all the SCCA logbooks starting in 1972, and this car did a lot of races!

Michael Krafchek was the first owner listed, and did a driver's school at Waterford Hills, but then Ted Hight drove it many times from 1973-78.

It may have been yellow, then green #54.

From 1988-94 , the car was red with a broad blue stripe along the bonnet and boot, and blue panels
along the sides.

It wore #1(modestly) and was driven by Terry Moody.

Bill Maciolek was listed as an owner in 1986.

I just wonder if any of these fellows, or their families, might be curious what became of the car?

Now reconfigured for Vintage Racing, it is Black #28 and lives in my garage outside Pittsburgh.

Would be delighted to hear from any Waterford Hills folks who have a connection, and I hope to visit the track this season or next.

Regards,
Geoff Herald

ghlotus7@comcast.net

724-777-4202
Brian
WHRRI Member Number: 1843

Re: Remember these guys and this car at Waterford Hills?

Post by Brian »

Welcome Geoff,

If you could post any older (logbook?) photos, that certainly might help jog some memories!

Brian
"A nation which makes great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."

Thucydides, 460 B.C.
surratta
WHRRI Member Number: 2595

Post by surratta »

the name Bill Maciolek is vaguely familiar. did the car run EP during that era? I bet Mark Windecker has a pic somewhere.

you probably already know, but Wateford Hills will host a vintage event this year again, July 23-25. might be a good time to see if the car still knows its way around the hills...
Andrew Surratt, Resident Troll
Joel Hershoren
WHRRI Member Number: 1361

Post by Joel Hershoren »

Hi Geoff,
Bill Maciolek (iirc ) ran New Boston Auto Service. The car was fast and ran up front. The car was racing in the 90's ( as seen at Mid-Ohio )
John Payne ( a local not much on social media / internet ) ran a out of the same stable with a G-prod Sprite that was very fast but fragile.
Next time i chat with John i will ask what he recalls of Bill and the MG-B. Likely quite a bit. And yes, We 2nd Andrews' invitation and come and enjoy Vintage weekend. No worries, we have a very unique program to help first time visitors to the track, have a good time on track and off.