Very sad news in the paddock, Very sad news in the paddock,

Bench racing, smack talking, and general chit chat
jpintar

Very sad news in the paddock, Very sad news in the paddock,

Post by jpintar »

It’s with a saddened heart I have to tell everyone of the passing of Jerry Morlewski Sr.
Jerry passed Wednesday evening. Details to follow. Jerry was a husband, father, grandfather, racer, pace car driver, chief of pace, WHRRI board member, WHRRI club president, OCSC president. WOW! What a resume!! He will be missed by all.

I’m sorry to say on the same note that back in December we also lost a former member Dave Farlick. Dave had been suffering from dementia. Dave brought me to Waterford Hills back in 92.

Sadly,
Jerry Pintar
WHRRI Track Manager
VLVTLVS

Re: Very sad news in the paddock, Very sad news in the paddock,

Post by VLVTLVS »

Good Day All,

Not unlike the contributions from many of our founding members, some still with us, some passed on, (MW, RS, TD, HC, JL, and countless others), let us never forget that without their hard work, dedication, and sweat equity, we would not have the playground that we have today. These past men and women paved the way for our fun today, literally. We, often, minimize time commitments for paying out more money. Give more money - get more stuff… let someone else do the work. But these elder states persons dedicated many of their personal hours building, painting, weeding and seeding, and many more obligations, to keep WHRRI the place we see and cherish today. These are the committed ones – these are the cherished ones.

I spent many of days and nights with Jerry, e.g., Work Bee weekends – sweating our asses off, but closing with some cool refreshments and great story telling time, racing road trips – crewing for the Wollesen’s, euchre games on a Saturday night at the racetrack, and WHRRI BOD meetings – the pleasure was all mine (mostly cause I would annoy the shit out of him, with all my Incessant Rambling and Giggling). Nevertheless, we had some fun times – and he, next to Anne R, had some of the best WHRRI racing stories and memories. I really miss those days!

Even in his later years, as a curmudgeon old man, I still could sit and talk of the old days, and have a good laugh. As once shared with me in the early days of my time in WHRRI, "You Don't Just Get It, You Have To Earn It!" (MW - RIP) Jerry earned all of the Love and the Hate - he stood on 'his' principals - can't fault him for that.

As many of those that have passed through the WHRRI gates, through our lives, and on to a different life, he is right up there on my top ten most memorable people I will never forget.

To add my two cents – the suggestion, “Suzy suggested a plaque displayed at the Grid/Pace shack and dedicating race weekend 1 to his memory”, is a well-deserved notion that I would endorse (for what its worth). And, while asking “Tracey about arrangements”, as Jerry Jr. what ever happened to Jerry Sr. old racecar. Last I heard it was still in his garage. Would be cool to bring it out, in remembrance of his hay-day on the blacktop (or may have been dirt, back in his day. :P ).

Yet another cool tribute to another cool guy – righteous suggestion Suzy, cheers.

Thank You for all You Did Jerry - for OCSC, WHRRI and Us.

Rest In Peace, My Friend, you will be missed. :cry:
Bruce Race

Post by Bruce Race »

As a former B.O.D. member, Director of Racing, and 26 year (Life) member, I offer my condolences to the Morlewski family, and our club. Jerry and I had many "Spirited" exchanges over many things.....I never doubted His dedication to the club though, and learned many things from Him...RIP, Bruce MacDonald
JMiller

Post by JMiller »

No matter how you slice it, 45 years is a long time, so this really hurts. Still, I know I am lucky for having known him for that long. God speed, my brother. There's no loose wheels in Heaven! My heart goes out to Junior and the family. I'm thinking of you, kid. Now I gotta call Kenny and let him know.
Brian
WHRRI Member Number: 1843

Post by Brian »

We first really got to know Jerry when Judi was F&C Chief, as he was Chief Steward.
We came to enjoy his style of quick sardonic wit, which I for one would test at almost every opportunity ;-P
The last few seasons assisting the Bracket Racing program often had me working next to Jerry in pit lane, when he was BF Steward......so we had many good conversations catching up on things.
Now that you guys mention it, Jerry had been telling me since around 1988 that his race Fiat just needed a fender and a little work to get it back to the track, so I also would like to know its true status ;^D

Godspeed, Jerry!
Last edited by Brian on Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A nation which makes great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."

Thucydides, 460 B.C.
nsxgal

Post by nsxgal »

This really is sad......Jerry was a great friend and I enjoyed spending time with him last season when he was at the track. He taught me so much when I was F&C chief, and we had a great working relationship. We had Jerry and Jane over many years ago at our Plymouth house for dinner, and even last year, Jerry mentioned how much fun that was. He will be missed by Brian and I big time.

Bless him and his entire family.
Judi Bennett
Total car gal
pace car 2
WHRRI Member Number: 1153

Post by pace car 2 »

I always enjoyed working with Jerry and sharing time with him. He was a great driver and a man of many hats at WHRRI, he knew the rules!
I will miss him, his family is carrying on the tradition in a grand manner at WHRRI. WOW 100 likes, loves, etc. on Facebook, that's a lot of fiends.

Gary Ray
Gary
JerryJr
WHRRI Member Number: 1300

Post by JerryJr »

I have to start out by saying that it is not possible for me to truly express what WHRRI and all of the racing people that were a part (big or small) of my dad's life meant to him and his family.
Because of his dedication to the track it wasn't easy for him to not be able to volunteer at the level that he wanted to the last couple of years. However, I believe he was able to use his more relaxed and enjoyable time to take in the overall view and have conversations with many people. I hope to hear about more of those conversations this year.
A celebration of life will be planned this year and hopefully it can be done at the race track.
Thanks to all of you for your kind and supportive words.
Sincerely,
Jerry Morlewski
surratta
WHRRI Member Number: 2595

Post by surratta »

... and hopefully it can be done at the race track.
if not, I think we should do something in his honor. I looked it up: his member number was 264. I don't know for sure, but it seems like he was active in the club that entire time.(?)
Andrew Surratt, Resident Troll
thekinn

Post by thekinn »

To: JerryJr and all of Jerry's friends and family, Sorry for your loss. I admired Jerry's candor during the comp-board meeting when I attended them a couple years back, and of course, always appreciated his voluntarism and dedication to the track.