Clift Corvette Asked and Answered

Bench racing, smack talking, and general chit chat
r.ranville

Clift Corvette Asked and Answered

Post by r.ranville » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:26 am

My own research has turned up an answer to what happened to this historic race car. The Spring 1997 The Corvette Restorer Magazine has a beautiful cover picture and story on the Clift Corvette. It was reported, at that time, to be in the possession of a man in or near Laughlin, Nevada who had restored it to shiny show car condition. The writer arranged a reunion of Clift and the car. According to the story, there were really two "White Mule" 1954 Corvettes, the Company car, now in the Lingenfelter collection, and Clift' race car. Development went back and forth from engineering/proving ground to North American race tracks by moving developments back and forth from test car to race car.

I personally think this restoration is a shame. I had visions of the race car, rebuilt to race car form, circulating on its home racetrack at some future vintage event. But the race car, like the 1950's, is gone.

I didn't know how else to do it, so I attached a copy of the cover scanned from the magazine as a word document; I purchased the copy of the magazine on Amazon and will bring it both days next race weekend. Obviously, it's a nice picture of Bob Clift too; a founder of Waterford Hills and one of the two or three most influential in the actual conduct of Racing at Waterford Hills. His organization chart, appearing in a very early Parent Club newsletter column, is what is still in use today.
Attachments
Clift Car Restored.docx
(851.81 KiB) Downloaded 299 times
You might as well go fast; it'll go by fast anyway.

Brian
WHRRI Member Number: 1843

Re: Clift Corvette Asked and Answered

Post by Brian » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:06 am

Nice sleuthing, Dick!

Brian
"A nation which makes great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."

Thucydides, 460 B.C.

greendot
WHRRI Member Number: 1444

Post by greendot » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:28 pm

This was sent to me by a road rally gal and reminded me of the Clift Corvette.
http://www.corvette-mag.com/issues/100/ ... eec5VRSzcu
Sheldon Cooper "Leonard, friends are like toilet paper. It's good to have spares under the sink."

Kris Walker
WHRRI Member Number: 1688

Post by Kris Walker » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:54 pm

r.ranville

Post by r.ranville » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:44 am

As I remarked to Joel on his face book page, Bob Clift couldn't have been a fool. I have to think he would have been satisfied that it was his old car - the one I turned up as having been restored. I think the E-bay listing is not Clift's old car.

I don't know if the whole Bob Clift Corvette story has been completely told. I met a man at the GM Heritage collection who had quite a following with him, a dandy with a real entourage, who said he worked in the "basement" where the secret performance group worked out of sight of top management.

We chatted and I offered the opinion that a lot of early Corvette development got done under the scruffy body of Bob Clift's race car at Waterford Hills and he said I was right; nothing more.
You might as well go fast; it'll go by fast anyway.